Poison ivy, poison oak, poison sumac, the ginkgo fruit, and mango peels cause itchy, red, seeping rash. People get affected by touching poisonous plants and by scratching skin and spreading rash to other body parts. Even being nearby of burning poison ivy plant, can cause itchy rash.
Both poison ivy and poison oak have 3 leaves coming off a single stem. There is a saying, "leaves of 3, let them be.”
Rash is usually present for 1 to 3 weeks. Blisters may form in different places. If rash is very itchy, health care professionals may prescribe corticosteroids to reduce inflammation, swelling and itching.
Cold compresses, calamine lotion, skin products like Burrow's solution and Domeboro are helpful too. Some people benefit from numbing products that have benzocaine. Gentle washing with a liquid dish soap under running water helps after exposure. People who work in the yard or outside should avoid poison ivy, even if the plant is dead. They should wear thick vinyl gloves, long sleeves and pants.